Definition of Anonymity
(noun) A research protocol in which neither the researcher or the reader of the findings can identify a respondent based on their responses; the state of being anonymous.
Examples of Anonymity
- Sending a survey to volunteers to discuss how to improve advocacy efforts.
- A website that asks students to rate their professors such as RateMyProfessor.com.
- American English – /an-uh-nIm-uh-tee/
- British English – /an-uh-nIm-i-tee/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˌænəˈnɪmɪti/
- British English – /ˌænəˈnɪmɪti/
- Plural: anonymities
- Anonymity is not to be confused with confidentiality. When an individual can only be identified by the researcher who guarantees their responses will not be made public the person is protected by confidentiality not anonymity.
- Anonymous surveys (verb) anonymize data to make it (adjective) anonymous and to (adverb) anonymously assure participants have (noun) anonymousness.
- Qualitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Quantitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “anonymity” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- qualitative research
- quantitative research
- statistical analysis
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Cite the Definition of Anonymity
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “anonymity.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 28, 2023 (https://sociologydictionary.org/anonymity/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
anonymity. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/anonymity/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “anonymity.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 28, 2023. https://sociologydictionary.org/anonymity/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“anonymity.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 28 Mar. 2023. <https://sociologydictionary.org/anonymity/>.