(noun) A chronic disease caused by compulsive, dependent, and excessive consumption of alcohol, leading to deterioration of mental and physical health, and social and vocational functioning.
Audio Pronunciation: (al·co·hol·ism)
Download Audio Pronunciation: alcoholism.mp3
- Also called:
- alcohol abuse
- alcohol addiction
- alcohol dependence
- Historically called:
- An (noun) alcoholic is addicted to alcohol.
- Word origin of “alcoholism” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Abadinsky, Howard, and Howard Abadinsky. 2008. Drug Use and Abuse: A Comprehensive Introduction. Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.
- Bradby, Hannah. 2009. Medical Sociology: An Introduction. Los Angeles: SAGE.
- Cockerham, William C. 1992. Medical Sociology. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Lopata, Helena Znaniecka, and Judith A. Levy. 2003. Social Problems Across the Life Course. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- McGann, P. J., David J. Hutson, and Barbara Katz Rothman. 2011. Sociology of Diagnosis. Bingley, United Kingdom: Emerald.
- Rogers, Anne, and David Pilgrim. 2005. A Sociology of Mental Health and Illness. Maidenhead, England: Open University Press.
- Roman, Paul M. 1991. Alcohol: The Development of Sociological Perspectives on Use and Abuse. New Brunswick, NJ: Publications Division, Rutgers Center of Alcohol Studies.
- Weiss, Gregory L., and Lynne E. Lonnquist. 2009. The Sociology of Health, Healing, and Illness. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
How to Cite the Definition of Alcoholism
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “alcoholism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 27, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/alcoholism/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
alcoholism. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/alcoholism/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “alcoholism.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 27, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/alcoholism/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“alcoholism.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 27 Mar. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/alcoholism/>.