Definition of Advocate Sociology
(noun) Any use of sociological methods and theories to support and empower an individual or group.
Example of Advocate Sociology
- Using sociological methods to improve efforts to eliminate violence against women.
Advocate Sociology Pronunciation
Syllabification: ad·vo·cate so·ci·ol·o·gy
- American English – /Ad-vuh-kuht soh-see-AH-luh-jee/
- British English – /Ad-vuh-kuht soh-si-O-luh-jee/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈædvəkət ˌsoʊsiˈɑləʤi/
- British English – /ˈædvəkɪt ˌsəʊsɪˈɒləʤi/
- Plural: advocate sociologies
- Advocate sociology provides methods and theories to assist advocates.
- A type of applied sociology; other types of applied sociologies include:
- Also called advocacy research.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Turner, Bryan S., ed. 2006. The Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Cite the Definition of Advocate Sociology
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “advocate sociology.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 25, 2023 (https://sociologydictionary.org/advocate-sociology/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
advocate sociology. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/advocate-sociology/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “advocate sociology.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 25, 2023. https://sociologydictionary.org/advocate-sociology/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“advocate sociology.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 25 Mar. 2023. <https://sociologydictionary.org/advocate-sociology/>.