Definition of Action Sociology
Example of Action Sociology
- Using sociological methods to help a town build a community center that incorporates aspects of all the cultures that will use it.
Action Sociology Pronunciation
Syllabification: ac·tion so·ci·ol·o·gy
- American English – /Ak-shuhn soh-see-AH-luh-jee/
- British English – /Ak-shuhn soh-si-O-luh-jee/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈækʃən ˌsoʊsiˈɑləʤi/
- British English – /ˈækʃ(ə)n ˌsəʊsɪˈɒləʤi/
- Plural: action sociologies
- A type of applied sociology; other types of applied sociologies include:
- “Sociology, through its emphasis on observation and measurement, allows us to bring rigorous and systematic scientific thinking and information to bear on difficult questions associated with social policies and choices, including those related to poverty, health, immigration, crime, and education. Many people interested in these issues do not realize that more than concern is need to solve problems. Action must be informed by knowledge” (Hughes and Kroehler 2008:3).
Hughes, Michael, and Carolyn J. Kroehler. 2008. Sociology: The Core. 8th ed. Boston: McGraw-Hill.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Turner, Bryan S., ed. 2006. The Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “action sociology.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved July 27, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/action-sociology/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
action sociology. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/action-sociology/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “action sociology.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed July 27, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/action-sociology/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“action sociology.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 27 Jul. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/action-sociology/>.