Definition of Abortion
(noun) The intentional or unintentional termination of a fetus.
Examples of Abortion
- A married couple were using contraception for family planning, but it failed, so they decided to have an abortion.
- After a woman is raped and impregnated, she goes to a clinic or hospital to have the pregnancy terminated.
- American English – /uh-bOR-shuhn/
- British English – /uh-bAWsh-uhn/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /əˈbɔrʃ(ə)n/
- British English – /əˈbɔːʃn/
- Plural: abortions
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Sex and Gender Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “abortion” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Boltanski, Luc. 2013. The Foetal Condition: A Sociology of Engendering and Abortion. Cambridge: Polity.
- Ekland-Olson, Sheldon. 2012. Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Decides?: Abortion, Neonatal Care, Assisted Dying, and Capital Punishment. London: Routledge.
Macionis, John. 2012. Sociology. 14th ed. Boston: Pearson.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Taylor & Francis. (N.d.) Routledge Handbooks Online. (https://www.routledgehandbooks.com/).
Wiley. (N.d.) Wiley Online Library. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2016. “abortion.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved October 22, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/abortion/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
abortion. (2016). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/abortion/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2016. “abortion.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed October 22, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/abortion/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“abortion.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2016. Web. 22 Oct. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/abortion/>.