(noun) The study of the meaning of words.
Example: Studying the role of gender in words that have a negative connotation.
Audio Pronunciation: (se·man·tics)
Download Audio Pronunciation: semantics.mp3
- Semantics is considered a subfield of linguistics by some and a separate field by others.
- A (noun) semanticist or (noun) semantician studies (adjective) semantic topics.
- Hughes, Geoffrey. 2010. Political Correctness: A History of Semantics and Culture. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Lyons, John. 1977. Semantics. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press.
- Macdonald, Graham, and Philip Pettit. 2012. Semantics and Social Science. London: Routledge.
- Saeed, John I. 2009. Semantics. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.