Example: A student is torn between the obligations of school, their parents, and a job.
Audio Pronunciation: (role strain)
Download Audio Pronunciation: role strain.mp3
- Plural: role strains
- The terms role and social role are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- Compare and contrast to role conflict, which is similar but is caused by two or more roles that are incompatible.
- Variant form: role-strain
- Role strain used in a sentence: My classes are started to cause me role strain and I do not know what to do.
- Basow, Susan A. 1992. Gender: Stereotypes and Roles. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Company.
- Biddle, Bruce J. 1979. Role Theory: Expectations, Identities, and Behaviors. New York: Academic Press.
- Burke, Peter J., and Donald C. Reitzes. 1981. “The Link Between Identity and Role Performance.” Social Psychology Quarterly 44(2):83–92.
- Goffman, Erving. 1961. Encounters: Two Studies in the Sociology of Interaction. Indianapolis, Indiana: Bobbs-Merrill.
- Linton, Ralph. 1936. The Study of Man: An Introduction. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts.
- Mead, George Herbert, and Charles W. Morris. 1934. Mind, Self & Society from the Standpoint of a Social Behaviorist. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- Merton, Robert King. 1968. Social Theory and Social Structure. New York: Free Press.