Example: Military leaders must think about the safety of troops under their command and the need to complete the mission.
Audio Pronunciation: (role con·flict)
Download Audio Pronunciation: role conflict.mp3
- Plural: role conflicts
- The terms role conflict and social role conflict are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- Role conflict was systematically studied in Organizational Stress: Studies in Role Conflict and Ambiguity (1964) by Robert Kahn (1918).
- Role conflict used in a sentence: My role as student and employee often cause role conflict in my life.
- Basow, Susan A. 1992. Gender: Stereotypes and Roles. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Company.
- Biddle, Bruce J. 1979. Role Theory: Expectations, Identities, and Behaviors. New York: Academic Press.
- Goffman, Erving. 1961. Encounters: Two Studies in the Sociology of Interaction. Indianapolis, Indiana: Bobbs-Merrill.
- Kahn, Robert L. 1964. Organizational Stress: Studies in Role Conflict and Ambiguity. New York: Wiley.
- Linton, Ralph. 1936. The Study of Man: An Introduction. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts.
- Mead, George Herbert, and Charles W. Morris. 1934. Mind, Self & Society from the Standpoint of a Social Behaviorist. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- Merton, Robert King. 1968. Social Theory and Social Structure. New York: Free Press.
- role distancing
- role exit
- role expectation
- role performance
- role reversal
- role segregation
- role set
- role strain
- role taking
- role theory