(noun) Any individual that answers questions during an interview or replies to a survey.
Example: Citizens responding to an annual census or students filling out course evaluations at the end of a semester.
Audio Pronunciation: (re·spon·dent)
Download Audio Pronunciation: respondent.mp3
- Plural: respondents
- A type of ascribed status and individual.
- The term respondent and informant are often used interchangeably; however they are separate terms. Respondent connotes quantitative research and informant connotes qualitative research.
- A respondent (verb) responds to questions and is a (noun) responder.
- Babbie, Earl R. 2013. The Practice of Social Research. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Cengage Learning.
- Morse, J. M. 1991. “Subjects, Respondents, Informants, and Participants?” Qualitative Health Research. 1(4): 403-406.