Example: Denying a job to minorities based entirely on their race
Audio Pronunciation: (rac·ism)
Download Audio Pronunciation: racism.mp3
- Plural: racisms
- A type of discrimination and prejudice.
- Racism leads to racial steering.
- Also called:
- racial discrimination
- Type: environmental racism
- A (noun) racist or (noun) racialist advocates racism.
- Racism used in a sentence: Sociologists study racism in relation to job discrimination and racial steering.
- Davis, David Brion. 1966. The Problem of Slavery in Western Culture. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- Marks, Jonathan. 1995. Human Biodiversity: Genes, Race, and History. New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Shipman, Pat. 1994. The Evolution of Racism: Human Differences and the Use and Abuse of Science. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Snowden, Frank M. 1983. Before Color Prejudice: The Ancient View of Blacks. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
OpenStax College. 2012. Stereotypes, Prejudice, and Discrimination. Connexions, May 18, 2012. (http://cnx.org/content/m42860/1.2/).