(noun) “A set of research techniques in which data is obtained from a relatively small group of respondents and not analyzed with statistical techniques” (Wiktionary n.d.).
Example: An ethnography.
Audio Pronunciation: (qual·i·ta·tive re·search)
Download Audio Pronunciation: qualitative research.mp3
- Plural: qualitative researches
- Qualitative research is compared and contrasted with quantitative research.
- Qualitative research is viewed as holistic whereas quantitative research is viewed as reductionistic. However, qualitative and quantitative research are complementary not contradictory.
- Also termed:
- qualitative data analysis
- qualitative method
- qualitative research method
- qualitative sociology
Wiktionary. n.d. s.v. “qualitative research.” Retrieved November 29, 2013 (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/qualitative_research).