(noun) The study of physical space as part of nonverbal communication in different situations.
Audio Pronunciation: (prox·e·mics)
Download Audio Pronunciation: proxemics.mp3
- Edward Hall (1914–2009) developed the concept of proxemics and tacit culture. Hall studied the distances between people during conversations and categorized four distinct distances: intimate, personal, social, and public.
- Hall, Edward T. 1959. The Silent Language. Garden City, NY: Doubleday.
- Hall, Edward T. 1976. Beyond Culture. New York: Doubleday.
- Weisler, Steven, and Slavoljub P. Milekic. 1999. Theory of Language. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Edward T. Hall – Official Website: edwardthall.com