(noun) A reward for conforming to established norms.
Audio Pronunciation: (pos·i·tive sanc·tion)
Download Audio Pronunciation: positive sanction.mp3
- Plural: positive sanctions
- The terms positive sanction and positive social sanction are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- Sociologists study four primary types of sanctions: formal sanctions, informal sanctions, negative sanctions, and positive sanctions.
- Janowitz, Morris, and James Burk. 1991. On Social Organization and Social Control. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- LaPiere, Richard T. 1954. A Theory of Social Control. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Melossi, Dario. 1998. The Sociology of Punishment: Socio-structural Perspectives. Aldershot, Hants, United Kingdom: Ashgate/Dartmouth.
- Park, Robert Ezra, and Ralph H. Turner. 1967. On Social Control and Collective Behavior. Selected papers. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.