(noun) When a husband and wife live with or near the husband’s family.
Audio Pronunciation: (pat·ri·lo·cal res·i·dence)
Download Audio Pronunciation: patrilocal residence.mp3
- Plural: patrilocal residences
- A marriage that requires a patrilocal residence is called a patrilocal marriage.
- A patrimatrilocal residence is when a couple first lives with the husband’s family and then after a period of time, the wife’s family.
- Also called:
- virolocal residence
- Patrilocal residence used in a sentence: We moved to a patrilocal residence after we got married.
- When spouses live with the husband’s family they are living (adjective) patrilocal or (adjective) patrilocally.