(noun) A punishment for breaking an established norm.
Example: Getting a traffic ticket for speeding.
Audio Pronunciation: (neg·a·tive sanction)
Download Audio Pronunciation: negative sanction.mp3
- Plural: negative sanctions
- The terms negative sanction and negative social sanction are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- Sociologists study four primary types of sanctions: formal sanctions, informal sanctions, negative sanctions, and positive sanctions.
- Janowitz, Morris, and James Burk. 1991. On Social Organization and Social Control. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- LaPiere, Richard T. 1954. A Theory of Social Control. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Park, Robert Ezra, and Ralph H. Turner. 1967. On Social Control and Collective Behavior. Selected papers. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.