(noun) When a husband and wife live with or near the wife’s family.
Audio Pronunciation: (mat·ri·lo·cal res·i·dence)
Download Audio Pronunciation: matrilocal residence.mp3
- Plural: matrilocal residences
- A marriage that requires a matrilocal residence is called a matrilocal marriage.
- A matripatrilocal residence is when a couple first lives with the husband’s family and then after a period of time, the wife’s family.
- Also called:
- uxorilocal residence
- Matrilocal residence used in a sentence: We moved to a matrilocal residence after we got married.
- When spouses live with the wife’s family they are living (adjective) matrilocal or ((adjective) matrilocally.