(noun) Tracing an individual’s descent through their mother’s side of the family.
Audio Pronunciation: (mat·ri·lin·e·al de·scent)
Download Audio Pronunciation: matrilineal descent.mp3
- Plural: matrilineal descents
- In matrilineal societies the mother’s brother or uncle typically has responsibilities related to the sons. This kinship pattern is referred to as avunculate.
- Matrilateral (also called uterine) refers to a person’s relations on their mother’s side.
- A type of unilineal descent.
- In contrast to matrilineal descent, patrilineal descent is tracing an individual’s descent through their father’s side of the family.
- Also called:
- matrilinear descent
- uterine descent
- Matrilineal descent used in a sentence: A genealogist can trace matrilineal descent.
- A genealogist can trace descent (adverb) matrilineally through the mother’s side.