Example: Chris immigrated to Canada from the United States.
Audio Pronunciation: (im·mi·gra·tion)
Download Audio Pronunciation: immigration.mp3
- Plural: immigrations
- You immigrate into a new country and emigrate from your home country.
- You can remember this distinction by thinking “Exit” for emigration and “Into” for immigration.
- Immigration is a type of migration which is typically is viewed as transitory (i.e. moving from place to place with the seasons); immigration along with emigration are generally permanent.
- Variant form: in-migration
- The (adjective) immigratory or (adjective) immigrational patterns of (noun) immigrants (verb) immigrating are studied by demographers.
Wiktionary. n.d. “immigration.” Retrieved October 16, 2013 (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/immigration).