(noun) The principle that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and a part cannot be understood independent of the whole.
Audio Pronunciation: (ho·lism)
Download Audio Pronunciation: holism.mp3
- Holism is more common in the social sciences than the natural sciences.
- Reductionism is the opposite of holism.
- Research methods are often viewed as holistic (qualitative) or reductionistic (quantitative).
- Variant form: wholism
- Also called holistic theory.
- A (noun) holist views society (adverb) holistically from a (adjective) holistic perspective.
- Descombes, Vincent. 2014. The Institutions of Meaning: A Defense of Anthropological Holism. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.