(noun) A society that lacks social stratification and with the exception of inequality based on ability, age, gender, and sex provides equal access to resources and prestige.
Example: Hunting and gathering societies.
Audio Pronunciation: (e·gal·i·tar·i·an so·ci·e·ty)
Download Audio Pronunciation: egalitarian society.mp3
- Giddens, Anthony. 1973. The Class Structure of the Advanced Societies. London: Hutchinson.
- Grusky, David B., and Katherine R. Weisshaar. 2014. Social Stratification: Class, Race, and Gender in Sociological Perspective. 4th ed. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Kerbo, Harold Ray. 2012. Social Stratification and Inequality: Class Conflict in Historical, Comparative, and Global Perspective. 8th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Society – Wikipedia the Free Encyclopedia: en.wikipedia.org
- Types of Society – Sociology Guide: sociologyguide.com