Audio Pronunciation: (de·vi·ance)
Download Audio Pronunciation: deviance.mp3
- Plural: deviances
- The terms deviance and social deviance are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- Medicalization of deviance “changes “bad” behavior into “sick” behavior” (OpenStax College 2012b).
- People who engage in deviance are called (noun) deviants because they (verb) deviate from norms.
- Conrad, Peter, and Joseph W. Schneider. 1992. Deviance and Medicalization: From Badness to Sickness. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Inderbitzin, Michelle Lee, Kristin Ann Bates, and Randy R. Gainey. 2013. Deviance and Social Control: A Sociological Perspective. Los Angeles: SAGE.
- Pfuhl, Erdwin H., and Stuart Henry. 1993. The Deviance Process. New York: Aldine De Gruyter.
OpenStax College. 2012a. Deviance and Control. Connexions, May 14, 2012. (http://cnx.org/content/m42834/1.2/).
OpenStax College. 2012.b Theoretical Perspectives on Health and Medicine. Connexions, May 18, 2012. (http://cnx.org/content/m42934/1.2/).