(noun) “[An] illnesses that is questioned or considered questionable by some medical professionals” (OpenStax College 2012).
Audio Pronunciation: (con·test·ed ill·ness)
Download Audio Pronunciation: contested illness.mp3
- Plural: contested illnesses
- Bradby, Hannah. 2009. Medical Sociology: An Introduction. Los Angeles: SAGE.
- Cockerham, William C. 1992. Medical Sociology. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- McGann, P. J., David J. Hutson, and Barbara Katz Rothman. 2011. Sociology of Diagnosis. Bingley, United Kingdom: Emerald.
- Purdy, Michael, and David Banks. 2001. The Sociology and Politics of Health: A Reader. London: Routledge.
- Weiss, Gregory L., and Lynne E. Lonnquist. 2009. The Sociology of Health, Healing, and Illness. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
OpenStax College. 2012. The Social Construction of Health. Connexions, May 18, 2012. (http://cnx.org/content/m42927/1.2/).