1. (noun) The quality of being confidential or held in secrecy.
2. (noun) A research protocol in which only a researcher can identify a respondent but protects their identity.
Audio Pronunciation: (con·fi·den·ti·al·i·ty)
Download Audio Pronunciation: confidentiality.mp3
- Plural: confidentialities
- Confidentiality is not the same as anonymity. When no one including the researcher can identify a research participant, the participant is protected by anonymity, not confidentiality.
- Confidentiality used in sentence: The research requirements for the class’ study of gendered violence required confidentiality.
- A researcher (adverb) confidentially assures a participants identity will remain (adjective) confidential and that the participants have (noun) confidentialness.