Audio Pronunciation: (com·mon-law mar·riage)
Download Audio Pronunciation: common-law marriage.mp3
- Plural: common-law marriages
- The legal requirements for a common-law marriage vary by locality.
- A type of affinity and cohabitation.
- Variant form: common law marriage
- Also called:
- common-law (common law)
- informal marriage
- marriage by habit and repute
- sui juris marriage
- Common-law marriage used in a sentence: Common-law marriage in United States is only available in a few locations such as Texas.
- Abbott, Elizabeth. 2011. A History of Marriage: From Same Sex Unions to Private Vows and Common Law, the Surprising Diversity of a Tradition. New York: Seven Stories Press.
- Coltrane, Scott. 2004. Families and Society: Classic and Contemporary Readings. Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.
- Posner, Richard A. 1992. Sex and Reason. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.