Example: The working class (proletariat) or the intellectual class (literati).
Audio Pronunciation: (class)
Download Audio Pronunciation: class.mp3
- Plural: classes
- The terms class and social class are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- The precise definition of class and the amount of mobility in a class-based society is an oft debated and controversial topic.
- In contrast to class, caste is another stratified system but one that does not permit individual mobility.
- Also called socio-economic class.
- Cohen, Mark Nathan. 1998. Culture of Intolerance: Chauvinism, Class, and Racism in the United States. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.