(noun) The tendency for children to enter the same or similar occupations as their parents.
Example: My father was a sociology professor and I am too.
Audio Pronunciation: (ca·reer in·her·i·tance)
Download Audio Pronunciation: career inheritance.mp3
- Plural: career inheritances
- Children follow the path of their parents due to a variety of factors including socialization and access to social capital.
- A type of inheritance.
- Career inheritance used in a sentence: My sister and I both followed in the footsteps of our dad and are perfect examples of career inheritance.
- Collins, Randall. 1985. Sociology of Marriage and the Family: Gender, Love, and Property. Chicago: Nelson-Hall.
- Coltrane, Scott. 2004. Families and Society: Classic and Contemporary Readings. Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.
- Coleman, Marilyn, and Lawrence H. Ganong. 2004. Handbook of Contemporary Families: Considering the Past, Contemplating the Future. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- LaRossa, Ralph. 1984. Family Case Studies: A Sociological Perspective. New York: Free Press.
- Ingoldsby, Bron B., Suzanna D. Smith. 2006. Families in Global and Multicultural Perspective. 2nd ed. London: Sage.
- Lerner, K. Lee, Brenda Wilmoth Lerner, and Adrienne Wilmoth Lerner. 2006. Family in Society: Essential Primary Sources. Detroit, MI: Thomson Gale.
- Lévi-Strauss, Claude. 1949. The Elementary Structures of Kinship.
- Macfarlane, Alan. 1987. The Culture of Capitalism. Oxford, United Kingdom: Blackwell.
- Macklin, Eleanor D., and Roger Harvey Rubin. 1983. Contemporary Families and Alternative Lifestyles: Handbook on Research and Theory. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- May, Vanessa. 2011. Sociology of Personal Life. New York: Palgrave Macmillan
- Mead, Margaret, and Ken Heyman. 1965. Family. New York: Macmillan.
- Inheritance – Wikipedia the Free Encyclopedia: en.wikipedia.org
- Family Relations: Interdisciplinary Journal of Applied Family Studies
- History of the Family
- Journal of Comparative Family Studies
- Journal of Divorce & Remarriage
- Journal of Family Issues
- Journal of Family History: Studies in Family, Kinship, and Demography.
- Journal of Family and Economic Issues
- Journal of Family Violence
- Journal of Interpersonal Violence
- The Journal of Marriage and Family
- Marriage & Family Review