(noun) Money or property given to the family of the bride either by the groom or on his behalf.
Audio Pronunciation: (bride price)
Download Audio Pronunciation: bride price.mp3
- Plural: bride prices
- This is a simplified definition of a vast continuum of societal and cultural practices.
- Bride price is viewed a compensating the bride’s family for the loss of her economic value in providing goods and services and a reflection of the grooms ability to provide for the bride and their offspring.
- In contrast to bride price, a dowry is the transfer of money or property to a woman’s husband from her parents when she gets married.
- Variant forms:
- Also called:
- bride gift (bride-gift, bridegift)
- bride token
- bride wealth (bride-wealth, bridewealth)
- marriage payment
- progeny price
- reverse dowry (reverse-dowry)
- Bride price used in a sentence: The people of Papua New Guinea use pigs to pay a bride price.